Friday, November 21, 2008

Fourteen Hours Away... Should I Be Packing Now?

I probably should, right? Oh well, I can sleep on the plane.

It seems that I've been tagged by my Sandy, at Curly's Corner to share seven random or weird Book facts about myself.

This may be particularily hard for me because I'm not that big of a recreational reader. Here we go.

1. The worst critique I received in Architecture school was on a design for a library addition. It was a hot mess and I knew it, but I tried to sell it as best as I could. It was especially sad because I know I could have done a really interesting design had I actually put some effort into it. (that's kinda about books, right?)

2. I've read two books since I moved to New York and I've just started a third. I suppose I'll finish it while I'm schlepping through airports and sitting bored out of my mind on planes. You may be thinking big deal, two and a half books. It IS a pretty big deal when the last recreational reading I did was... wait... when was it? At least 2+ years ago.

3. I can't help but fall asleep when I'm reading. Especially textbooks. Most notedly textbooks with 40+ pages dedicated to the fascinating topic of structural properties of concrete. Riveting.

4. Reading a book on the subway makes the commute seem much shorter.

5. The best book (besides the Bible) that I own is the Home Depot's Home Repair 123. It explains everything that the owner of a crumbling 80 year old house would ever need to know and illustrates it fantastically with photos. Yet another reason I love the 'Depot.

6. I frequently 'space out' while I'm reading. I'll finish a page, start to turn the page, then realize that I have no idea what is printed on that page I just finished. My eyes looked at the words but my mind was on something else completely unrelated to the book. Adoral anyone?

7. My favorite people to be around are people who are well read. I really enjoy conversations with people who are knowledgeable in a variety of subjects because I learn so much from them. It's great to talk with someone who is articulate and has a great vocabulary. Those conversations always make me want to learn more to speak eloquently.

Alright, I realize that not a lot of this was actually about books, but I tried. Had this been about magazines I would have had quite a lot to share. Sorry Sandy! I'm getting better though... 3 books a year is better than 0 books in 2 years.

Still no further photos to post. I was hoping to get them back before I left for NoDak but I guess I will just have to keep waiting and, subsequently, so will you.

3 comments:

Jayne said...

Nah, no reason to pack way ahead of time. ;) Just throw everything in a big duffel at the last minute and go to the airport. You're going home, so anything you forgot to pack, you can buy in ND. Have fun!!

Nystral Djo said...

Good to hear someone else has an appreciation for Home Depot. So often, all I hear from home bloggers is "Hadda schlep to Home Despot..." but you know what? They have everything you need at cheap prices without sales people haggling you. You want another store where there are people available to help i.e. watch over your shoulder and talk you into buying things you don't need? Then don't go there. ;) Have a nice trip home! - Leah from RaiseTheRanch.com

Sandy said...

I thought you did just fine! Hope you are having a wonderful time at home and that you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.