Friday, February 13, 2009

Shipley & Halmos Show

Well, today started off not looking too good. I called the agency because I never received an email about when I should show up for the show. I was told that they never confirmed me for the show... so I was out. Craptacular. I got ready for the day and headed downtown for some comfort food in the form of a gigantic chicken queso burrito at Qdoba. It was delicious. Nothing like emotional eating during fashion week. I'm pretty sure that's breaking a big rule in the model handbook.

At any rate, I was walking from Qdoba toward the Magnolia Bakery (world renowned for their cupcakes) to cap off my emotional eating binge when my phone rang. Apparently there was some communication mixup and I was going to be in the show after all. It was just after 2pm, and the models were all supposed to be there at 1. I hailed a cab and we sped over to the gallery where the show was held. I got there just in time for the runthrough before the show.

After we did the runthrough, I sat down for hair and makeup. Hair was a giant pompedor, about three or four inches high, and the makeup was done to accentuate and sharpen the cheekbones.


We all scrambled to get the clothes on and then lined up for the show to start. I wore a woven shirt, suit, and double-breasted overcoat. It was a really nice outfit! It was such a rush as the line ahead of me got shorter and shorter. Finally I had made my way up to the exit and I felt the production assistant's hand on my back, signaling me to start. I stepped out into the light and started my way down the zig-zaging runway. You have no idea the adrenaline rush that takes place at that moment. It was absolutely amazing! I can't wait to do it again on Sunday, but this time it will be in the tents in Bryant Park. The big time!!!

I was only able to find one photo on the internet at this point, but you can see how I was styled. Check out how skinny my legs look in the tailored pants!!!
For the finale they sent out all of the models in a parade, one after another, down the zig zag runway. I found this photo on the internet somewhere and, so it isn't like a 'Where's Waldo' or anything, I tagged myself. It caught me mid-stride, but it's still a really cool picture of the finale.After I was finished, my friend Ryan and I went back to our agency. We have hung out a lot over the last couple weeks because we had mostly the same castings. We were each really glad the other was in the show, since we were the only two models from our agency that were cast. After gushing about the show to our bookers for a few minutes we left. I went to the gym and ran a few miles, then went home and rewarded myself for a job well done... with ice cream. I always get myself ice cream after a shoot or a show. Good stuff.

I'll keep you posted if I run across any other photos. There were a lot of photographers backstage so I bet I'll find some good candid ones of models hanging out behind the scenes and getting styled up for the show.

4 comments:

Jayne said...

WOW! That's so cool!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Nathan - This is one of the two Jeffs who would frequently stay at the HoDo. Emily G. told us what you've been up to, mentioned you have a blog, and here I am. Congrats on the work yesterday. May it continue to go well over the weekend.

We are at the HoDo again ... this is our 11th visit to Fargo, and we continue to love it ... actually getting to be friends with some of the people here.

Would be great to hear from you. We're at jeffnjeff@msn.com.

Keep livin' your dream!

Sandy said...

I am so glad it worked out for you! What a mix-up!

Sandy said...

p.s. Great photo!!