Monday, August 31, 2009

New Job!

I started a new job this week, working nights and weekends to suppliment my real estate income. I'm working at the club reception desk at the SoHo House. The SoHo House is an exclusive club in the fashionable Meatpacking District where members can meet, eat, drink, or stay in one of the 24 hotel suites. There is an incredible roof deck where I also will be working, hosting at the rooftop restaurant and working at the door verifying membership and working the guest list. If you're interested, check out their website to learn more about it.

This place is incredible, and the job is fun. I really like the people I work with and I can already tell that it's a good fit for me. (possibly not the case with the real estate)

In other news, last night after work my friend Reed (Happens to also be manager on the roofdeck at the SoHo House. Guess how I got this job!) and I went to grab a drink at a fun nautical-themed bar called the Rusty Knot. We were playing a round of pool and when Reed stepped out to use the restroom I heard a voice over my shoulder asking me if I could do him a favor. I turned around and it was BILL MURRAY! He was smashed and asked me to drink his drink for him because he didn't want it. He introduced himself to me as Bill, and asked me where I was from. He has actually been to Fargo, so we talked briefly about that. At this point Reed comes back from the bathroom and sees me talking with Bill Murray. I quickly introduce them and go to take my shot at the pool table. I completely miss and Bill tells Reed that he should teach me how to play pool, then exits the bar. Then I walked over to take a sip of the drink Bill gave me: straight tequila! Yuck. But when Bill Murray gives you a drink, you drink it and you like it!

Funny story, huh?

3 comments:

Jayne said...

Your new job sounds great. Rooftop deck...wow! And what a great story about Bill Murray. It doesn't surprise me that he was smashed. lol

Sandy said...

What a great job! That is some swanky place you're working at. How exciting to meet Bill Murray. Too bad he was snockered (who knows if I spelled that correctly)! LOL

Anonymous said...

Hey, Nate--- Just wanted to let you know I followed your old blog, and have watched periodically all the changes that have happened. Good Luck! I'm an old house fanatic that also lived in NY for a while and modeled briefly. Your career really seems to be taking off, good luck. Your posts are fun to read, they remind me of my days, a decade or more ago.Go find another house though, lol. Your writing style is immediate, and engaging. Possibly a fall back?